What you'll need (serves 12)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ½ cup natural peanut butter*
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup or unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- ½ cup of 85 per cent to 90 per cent dark chocolate broken into chips (or use vegan or dairy-free chocolate chips as needed)
* You can use almond butter, sunflower seed butter, or whatever nut butter you like. For a totally sugar-free version, use 30 drops of liquid Stevia instead of the sweeteners, and cacao nibs in place of the chocolate chips.
What you'll do
Preheat your oven to 180°C.
Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until very smooth.
Put half the chocolate chips and stir or pulse until combined.
Dump the dough into a lined brownie tin and spread until around 3 cm thick.
Press remaining chips into the top of the batter.
Bake for about 20–25 minutes, until slightly browning at the edge.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature (or in the fridge) for up to one week.